Tuesday 12 July 2016

DRAWN FROM MY FIRST FLIGHT

I stepped into the airplane for the first time with fear running down my spine, one informed by incessant plane crash in time past. Although normalcy seemed to have been restored to the aviation industry, the apprehension was carried over to mark my initial experience on the flight heading to the treasure base city of Port Harcourt (Nigeria). Many thanks to NYSC posting that availed me this opportunity. It was the longest journey I have ever had to embark on, hence Speed and comfort influenced the means of transportation I opted for. Had I not surmounted my fears, the whole experience would have remained only in the realm of fantasy with no inherent lessons to learn. The first insight drawn came in plain language, if you don’t win your fears you can’t scale great heights.

As I tried to locate a seat, my preference was for a space by the window side. I wanted an unhindered view of what the earth looked like from the sky. Having found one, I settled down and ran a thorough scan through my mind ensuring that I had no unresolved grudge, just in case the unexpected happens. Making Heaven had always been my ultimate goal.
No sooner the metallic Bird took off my fears began to ease out. A peep through the window revealed the earth looking like an artistic sketch of map painted dominantly with green. While I looked on, something happened to my imagination, it became enlarged with a sense of possibility towards something bigger. My horizon has been broadened. If only Abraham had an airplane when God promised all he could see, he probably would have travelled round and possessed the entire globe. No doubt the extent to which we see determines the much we can achieve. I once learnt from a book that things are always created twice: first in the workshop of the mind and then and only then in reality.

Cruising right in the air was absolute fun. I was actually on top of the world. The demonstration of safety procedures by air hostess looked like a playlet well rehearsed to entertain passengers. The experience was worth it. Just that I couldn’t but wonder how the white man conceived and actualised this innovation that combed the clouds when the puzzling fact remains that the black man also has the same unutilised potentials hanging between his two ears. This made me resolve to explore and maximise all my capabilities. I had always known that some individuals will weep profusely when they get to heaven. Not because of things they did wrong, but for promising potentials they had but failed to discover and tap into. This gives credence to the description of being heaven conscious but earthly irrelevant.

Mid way into the journey was a sudden vibration that over took the airbus. One would be tempted to ask if there were gallops in the air. I kept my calm regardless, not because I was a superman but a friend had told me prior to that time of his own similar experience. My mind had been better prepared. It is also true in life that there will be ups and down. Life doesn't promise a smooth ride all the way, but you can be rest assured of safety if Jesus is in the boat of your life. The journey lasted for about 50 minutes, one that would have taken an entire day by land. Flying is surely the best route to arriving at our destinations in life. Dare to fly and let God be your carrier.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Awesome read. Your ending really got to me: Flying is surely the best route to arriving at our destinations in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wat a nice write up wish u more Of Gods wisdom

    ReplyDelete